Preparing Your Property For Rental

Getting your property ready for rental

Well Presented

Ensure the property is cleaned throughout, redecorated where necessary and carpets professionally cleaned.
We recommend that you have a professional clean including carpets before letting your property for the first time as this then enables you to ensure that tenants have a professional clean on exit. Windows should be cleaned inside and out and the garden tidied, shrubs cut back and beds weed free.

Furnished or Unfurnished

If you provide kitchen appliances and furniture these form part of the tenancy and, as the landlord, you would then have the responsibility of repairing or replacing them.
Make sure furniture, equipment, fixtures and fittings are in good working order. Instruction leaflets should available for all appliances, including central heating systems, ovens and washing machines.
If you are providing beds, we recommend mattress protectors are provided but not bedding. If you wish table tops or work tops to be protected during use provide table coverings or protectors.


Wooden and laminate floors mark with use. Either provide or stipulate in your tenancy agreement that castors and furniture pads are to be used. Give clear instructions regarding wearing of shoes indoors.


If trickle vents need to be left open or extractor fans used please leave written instructions for tenants to avoid condensation and damp issues.

Safety & Energy Legislation

A rental property must have a current Energy Performance Certificate.

If you intend to let your property furnished, all items of soft furnishings must comply with the relevant legislation.

A smoke detector should be fitted on each floor of the property.

A carbon monoxide detector must be fitted in any room with a solid fuel burning appliance.

Anything which is upholstered or has a filling i.e. Mattresses, pillows, padded headboards, cushions, sofas, armchairs etc. must carry permanent labels indicating that they meet official fire resistant standards.

With regard to electrical installations and equipment the following legislations apply: The Electrical Equipment (Safety) Regulations 1994

Any property over ten years old should have a fixed wiring test carried out by an electrician employed by one of the statutory Electrical Companies, or who is recognised by the NICEIC.

All portable appliances being left in the property i.e. Washing machine, fridge, freezer, microwave, kettle, lawnmower etc. must have a Portable Appliance Test carried out on them.

Gas fittings and equipment should have a gas safety certificate.

The checks and necessary work must be carried out by CORGI registered or engineers employed by the statutory Gas Companies.


Should be neat and tidy at the start of the rental. If the tenant is to maintain the garden this should be stated in the tenancy agreement and appropriate equipment provided.


Make arrangements to insure both the building and any contents you intend to leave. As landlord you must ensure that you have informed your insurers of your intention to let the property. Insurance for both buildings and contents will provide the necessary cover for Property Owners Liability and essential Public Liability Cover.

Utilities & Meters

Leave details of the location and accessing of all meters and their reference numbers.

Maintenance & Repairs

Landlords are normally responsible for repairs to the property. It is a legal condition of any tenancy granted that the landlord must keep in good repair the structure of the premises inside and out, including decoration, gutters and drains. Also all installations supplying water, gas, electricity, oil, sanitation, hot water and space heating should be kept in working order.

The Inventory

Before the inventory visit ensure all works are completed and that the property is presented as it will be when the new tenant moves in.